Amarcord

1973 ode to life

Rating: 18/20

Plot: Life goes on as usual in a small 1930's Italian town as the fascists rise to power. Memories and mammaries, randy uncles screaming from treetops, circle jerks in automobiles, blind accordionists, life and death. Characters drift in and out of frame.

Another great movie from 1973! I love these kinds of movies that gently wash over you, grab you and place you in a familiar yet completely unfamiliar world for a couple hours, and just make the world seem more comfortable. I think this has the feel of M. Hulot's Holiday (especially with that recurring motorcycle rider), albeit a lot less talky and modern. You feel like a voyeur, catching glimpses of the lives of characters you're not really supposed to but then feeling a lot better because of it. There are magical moments, some great humor (love the fart jokes and especially a masturbation scene), and some lovely images (the "snowfall" bringing on spring at the beginning of the film and the peacock in the snow). Meandering and buoyant.

8 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

I just want you to know I do use yr site as a resource. I didn't read this review just saw 18 and I've been pondering taking this home, now i will...

Shane said...

Uh oh...lately, I've felt that people who have watched movies that I've liked or recommended have ended up hating me just a little bit for it. It's felt more like I'm passing on the swine flu instead of a movie recommendation.

I didn't think there was enough swing flu stuff out there...felt the need to mention it here.

Have you seen '8 1/2' or 'La Dolce Vita'? They might be better, but I need to see both of them again.

In other news, you and Cory both should sign up (for free) at chess.com and work on your game. It's correspondance chess, so you can play several games at once over many many days. It's a cool site.

l@rstonovich said...

rewatched La Dolce Vita a couple months ago... was very pleased.

cory said...

I would never hate you for any crappy opinions, even a little. I love your blog and like almost all of your reviews... even when you get really weird.

Are you saying my chess sucks and I need help? Have you gone to Academicchess.org? It is an amazing free site if you haven't.

Shane said...

Haven't heard of academicchess.org. And no, I'm not saying your chess sucks. Your kung-fu probably does though. I just remember you had mentioned wanting to play online and this is a great way to do it. Register and challenge me. I'm easy to find--search for my last name: Skankowicz.

I never get weird.

cory said...

I must be confusing you with someone else. I really don't like "registering" for things, but I may do it so you can kick my fanny. You have to check out Academicchess.org. It has dozens of famous games, lessons, and you can play an average computer or a super computer that is guaranteed to crush you and your self-esteem.

cory said...

As you know, I'm on a greatest movies of all-time kick, and Fellini has several on these lists. I saw "8 1/2" a few months ago, and though I was totally confused for half of the movie, it did have a few striking scenes and some style. I might give it a 14. "La Dolce Vita" was at or near the top of several lists, so I thought watching maybe the greatest foreign film ever would be a good use of my time... nearly three interminable hours of my time. I can't figure this out, so I thought maybe you could help me. It's not that it is badly made, it's just one of the most self-indulgent movies I have ever seen. I got the point after the first 90 minutes, but it went on and on with more annoying characters than you can shake a stick at. Mastroianni's character is also totally unlikeable by the end. Why is it so highly thought of? I was going to see "Amarcord" in the nex feww weeks, but I am off of Fellini movies unless you are sure this is something that I might like.

Shane said...

Nah, man...can't help you out. '8 1/2,' I think, is my favorite, but I'm going to see 'Vita' again soon. I think Fellini is probably a like-him-or-hate-him director. I really doubt you'll like 'Amarcord' and don't think you should see it.