This Island Earth

1955 science fiction movie

Rating: 14/20

Plot: Guys with giant foreheads scientistnap Dr. Carl Meacham by tricking him into building an Interroceter and luring him to their pad with promises of free plane rides and all the radioactive pickles he can fit in his pie hole. When he gets there, he discovers that other scientists have been scientistnapped and that some of them have even been lobotomized. He and some floozy have to uncover the secrets of Exeter and his big-foreheaded friends before bad stuff happens. This involves a trip to a faraway planet and a groping mutant.

There's nothing great (or sensible) about the plot here, but this sure is a good looking 50s science fiction movie. I love the colors, and the visuals, especially on the alien planet, are very original and artistic. I also like the mutant alien thing, basically a guy in a cheap rubber suit, although I wish he did a little more. There's not really a single moment when that thing appears all that menacing. At times, watching this seems like walking into a pawn shop filled with B-movie cliches, but it's definitely a lot of fun, the writing isn't horrible, and the plot unfolds mysteriously and keeps you interested for the duration. Lead heroic Rex Reason sounds a whole lot like Gregory Peck. Really, if you close your eyes while this movie is playing, you'll think you're watching To Kill a Mockingbird, a seldon seen version of To Kill a Mockingbird with aliens and interroceters where Atticus says things like "I know everybody's seeing flying saucers and screwy lights in the sky. Well, you can put me in the booby hatch too, because, so help me, I saw this ship turn a bright green up there." The movie wouldn't be nearly as entertaining if you closed your eyes though. Rex Reason's not as bad as his name would make you think he is, and the other actors are pretty good, too. I'm not sure whether or not it's the "supreme excitement of [my] time," but I did really enjoy watching This Island Earth.

4 comments:

Barry said...

This was the movie that the late great Mystery Science Theater 3000 used for their own major motion picture release. (Hopefully you guys have seen MST3K so you know what I am talking about...if not I will explain.)

Rex Reason..what a freaking NAME. Here is the best thing. The guy is still alive. Thats right, Rex Reason LIVES. Personally I think that all of us should pile in a car, drive to Walnut, California, and hunt Rex down so that we can properly worship him. Rex Reason is the ultimate man, with the ultimate mans name.

REX REASON.

Oh and about the film.

This movie is both good and bad. And its bad in ways that make it good. Cheesy effects and LOTS of over the top acting. I would give it about a 14 or so. I agree with most of your review.

Shane said...

What? The Mystery Science people made fun of this one? This movie's too good for that show. I guess I never saw their theatrical release. I loved that show though.

I don't think I have any interest in worshipping Rex Reason. I don't know anything about Rex Reason, but I doubt he's be comfortable with soome weirdos showing up at his place to worship him either.

I wonder if this is the best movie that Mystery Science made fun of...I can't think of one I saw that was better. I think they did a Santo movie once, and I give all Santo movies a 20/20.

Barry said...

Yeah I would say this is the best movie that MST3K ever. (When the SECOND best movie they have ever parodied is probably Godzilla Vs. the Sea Monster, you know you have to be pretty bad to make that show.)


I loved, loved LOVED MST3k. Too bad its gone the way of the dinosaur.


Here is a link to the IMDB entry for MST3k The Movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117128/


And you should worship Rex Reason for two reasons. (Reason reasons as I like to call them.)


1-He is the ultimate man. Deep voice, handsome, always and I mean always gets the girl.

2-His real, actual name is REX REASON. Who the hell can argue with that.


Lets get this road trip together!!!

Shane said...

Reason Reasons. Barry, you might be a genius.