Lenny

1974 biopic

Rating: 17/20

Plot: The life and career of controversial comedian Lenny Bruce, a guy who liked to say words like "poop" and "boobs" and "pee-pee" on stage a lot. He marries Lex Luthor's assistant, struggles to get ahead in his career, finally makes it big, gets in trouble for using the words "banana" and "parakeet" in inappropriate contexts, has a baby, and struggles with temptations. Penis!?

I realize I grabbed an image of the poster that shows creases, and I'm glad I did. It really seems appropriate since this is a Bob Fosse movie that isn't afraid to show its creases. A story that is anything but black and white is told ironically in this gritty black and white, so suitable for this world of night clubs and strip joints and cheap hotel rooms. It's a story of a funnyman, but a story clothed in gray and bathed in dim lighting, and the stark scenes draw the focus to the characters and the actors who play them. And what performances those are! The fact that the gorgeous Miss Teschmacher and her glorious bosom (actually the glorious Valerie Perrine and her glorious bosom) isn't completely submerged beneath the performance of Dustin Hoffman as the title character says something. She plays wife Bunny, a challenging and brave role with a nice range of emotions and plenty of chances to get a little naked. She pulls off manic, troubled, broken, ecstatic, wounded, and more in this roller coaster of a performance. Hoffman's as good as I've seen him, his Lenny Bruce as spot on as Jim Carrey's "tragic" "comic" in Man on the Moon. I don't recall seeing footage of the actual Lenny Bruce and therefore can't judge the body language, but Hoffman definitely had the cadence and stand-up delivery down. I liked the structure, almost a pseudo-documentary approach with after-the-fact interviews with Bunny and Bruce's manager and lots and lots of footage of Hoffman on stage delivering Bruce's "jokes" and banter. The stage scenes were woven within the narrative structure, helping to transition from point to point in Lenny Bruce's life. I'm not a huge fan of the Lenny Bruce recordings I've heard, by the way, but I can't argue the influence he had on comedy. And his story, or at least this particular telling, is thematically layered and moving, the end scene a perfect interrobang that drives home a near-profound point. I came away caring about and respecting Lenny Bruce a lot more. If that was Fosse's goal, he succeeded. If is goal was just to entertain with a good story, he succeeded there, too.

That's right--interrobang.

6 comments:

cory said...

I should watch this again. I think the short Focker Hoffman does not get nearly the credit he should for being not just a great actor in great films, but for the amazing and daring diversity of roles he took on...before becoming a Focker, that is. I remember Perrine (or parts of her, anyway), but I mainly remember this as a powerful Hoffman one-man show. A 16 from my 25 year memory.

Shane said...

"parts of her..."

Cute.

I don't understand why Hoffman can't find good roles during this last part of his career. Wonder Emporiums, kung-fu kickin' pandas, Fockers...what was his last really good role?

cory said...

You know I like the Panda, but his career has definitely declined post-Rain Man(1988). He has had a few good roles, but not enough.

Mel said...

Saw this in a theater when first released. I also remember Bruce from appearing on Hugh Hefner's Playboy TV show. If you want to watch Hoffman at his best watch both Midnight Cowboy, and Popillion. He was also probably the only actor who could have taken on Hook without destroying his career.

Shane said...

Neither 'Papillon' nor 'Midnight Cowboy' are on the blog, but I loved them both...'The Graduate' and 'Little Big Man' and (I think) 'Straw Dogs' are all on teh blog somewhere. I don't remember 'Hook' at all.

Mel said...

In Hook, a Steven Spielberg directed movie, Robin Williams plays a grown up Peter Pan (but doesn't know it), whose two children are kidnapped by Captain Hook, played by Dustin Hoffman. It's actually, not that bad. The little girl in Field of Dreams is one of Williams' children.