I Think We're Alone Now

2008 documentary

Rating: 12/20

Plot: A middle-aged autistic gentleman and a hermaphrodite have one thing in common--an infatuation for 1980's teen pop superstar Tiffany. And really, who wouldn't? This documentary explores their delusions and chronicles a meeting between the two.

I don't know. To me, this felt both exploitative and pointless. I can handle exploitative, and I can handle pointless. But I'm not sure I can handle both of those. I don't know what goal director Sean Donnelly had in giving us a glimpse into the lives of these two people. Maybe I'm just unsympathetic or something, but these two just made me feel uncomfortable and sad. We see the hermaphrodite showing off his running skills, a scene that almost convinced me that this was actually a mockumentary. Same with the scene involving the autistic guy's psychotronic helmet. This might have something to say about celebrity obsession or people with mental problems being like everybody else or something, but I completely missed it. I think I was too distracted.

4 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

This movie made me squirm like a wooly mammoth.

Shane said...

Wait. Is that an endorsement?

Stegosaurus! TMI!

Kairow said...

I didn't feel like the movie was exploitive. I thought it was fair to the subjects, dispite how odd they might have been.

Most documentries like this want to give you the happy ending, but this one told the truth. Not everyone gets better.

I don't think it's for everyone, and this film has been known to cause mammothitc tremors.

14.789497/20

Shane said...

I guess the reason I used "exploitative" was because I couldn't find a point in it all. I didn't really think the director was unfair exactly, but it was just scene after scene of these two being weird and I didn't get the point.

I thought it did have a happy ending. The guy upgraded to Allyssa Milano!