Assault on Precinct 13

1976 action movie

Rating: 15/20

Plot: Various gang members align to titularily assault the titular precinct, and the inhabitants try to survive.

I love it when writers/directors insert these really goofy moments in the middle of gritty movies like this. Here, it's impossible not to love the scene where they play "One Potato, Two Potato" to decide who has to go outside. That's just beautiful.

Some observations/questions about the action that takes place early in this movie around an ice cream truck.

1) That ice cream man is really good without saying a single word. He's played by Peter Bruni who doesn't have a very long filmography. I was secretly hoping that he'd have about fifteen movie credits, and I really hoped that he had an entire career playing ice cream men. This conversation I had in my head while watching this made the movie better:

Peter Bruni's agent: I have another role for you to audition for. I think you're perfect for it.
Peter Bruni: Ok, let's here about it.
Agent: Well, in this one, you'll be playing an ice cream man.
Peter Bruni: Again?

2) Unfortunately, Peter Bruni was shot with Han Solo's gun. Now, I'm not exactly a gun guy. In fact, I'm about as far away from "gun guy" as you can possibly get. Are there real guns like this though?

3) This movie shows you what it's all about when they kill off a little girl. And dead little girls are sad an all, but you know what's even sadder? "I wanted vanilla twist!" being somebody's last words. What a great scene this ice cream truck one is. Shit gets real early in this flick!

4) And you know what's even sadder than the "vanilla twist" thing? Dying with that shirt that the ice cream man is wearing.

This is good, gritty fun with enough shooting to please any fan of shooting. Of course, there's plenty of silliness in here, too. Those people who keep trying to come through the windows and getting stuck in the blinds like they're dogs? It's like Night of the Living Dead only these gang members aren't as smart as the zombies. Obviously, that's not working, fellows. It reminded me of the old saying: Shoot me while I'm trying to come through the window once, shame on you. Shoot me while I'm trying to come through the window twice, shame on me. One wish I would have for a remake to this movie: It should be in real-time like 24. And no, I have not seen the remake of this. I already know that Bruni doesn't reprise his role as the ice cream man with the ugly shirt, and I imagine there would be a lack of "One Potato, Two Potato" that would also disappoint me.

No comments: