Blue Ruin


2013 revenge movie

Rating: 15/20

Plot: When the convicted murderer of his parents is released from prison, Dwight decides to go after him.

Imagine your typical revenge flick. Now imagine it with a lead who has no idea what he's doing. And imagine it written and directed by somebody who is a little sleepy. You've probably just imagined Blue Ruin. I don't know if Jeremy Saulnier is sleepy or not. And I don't know if he's trying to make movies that will feel like lackadaisical Coen Brother flicks or not either. If this reads like a write-up for a movie I didn't like at all, I apologize because I really did enjoy this one. My favorite thing about it is that it's sneakily funny. Sure, it's mostly quiet, mysterious, and airy, but I think there's a subdued comedy at play here, too. The vagabond-turned-man-of-vengeance played by some guy named Macon Blair is so inept that you almost have to chuckle at his exploits. This approaches revenge flick cliches a few times but then swerves in another direction. Think about what would usually happen after that trip to the drugstore in a movie like this, and you'll see what I mean. This has some shocking bits of violence that are often difficult to watch. It's a movie that feels twisty until you really think about it, and then it just kind of seems like everything happened the way it should have happened. Well, except for an appearance by Eve Plumb. Yeah, that Eve Plumb. What other Eve Plumb did you think I meant? Nice little sleeper here.