Mother!


2017 movie

Rating: 17/20

Plot: A poet struggles through writer's block while his wife remodels his home that was partially destroyed in a fire. Unexpected guests wreak havoc. But good news! There's a bun in the oven!

This will go down as one of my more memorable movie theater experiences. There's a scene that erupts in complete chaos, and it's one of the most brilliantly choreographed bits of craziness I've seen in a movie in a long, long time. And I was thinking of the other people in the theater and knowing that they probably weren't enjoying this nearly as much as me, and I kind of got angry at them. I wanted to yell insults. I refrained. After the movie, a guy behind me let out a moany "Shit." I also heard a "What the fuck?" at one point in the movie.

I don't want to say too much about this movie. The religious symbols are obvious, and Aronofsky's unapologetically pretentious. He's also an auteur, and this is a movie experience like nothing else I've really seen. That alone makes it worth seeing. It's a movie that I think will sit with anybody who watches it for a long time, and that's whether they love or hate it. It's the perfect example of one of those love it or hate it movies. I doubt there's an in-between with Mother!

Jennifer Lawrence is almost distracting, but there's a purity to the way she looks that makes her perfect for this character. Her nipples make an appearance early on. An artsy-fartsy movie like this seems like a brave role for her at this stage of her career. Bardem is as great as he always is. There's a tired passion to his character, and although he doesn't quite have a physical rapport with Lawrence, I thought he was perfect for the role. Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer are also good, especially in a scene where the former violently coughs. Kristen Wiig also pops in, apparently just to remind me that I can't tell her and Vera Farmiga apart.

I was looking at the cast list just now and noticed that somebody named Gitz Crazyboy plays "Hewer" in this. It's his only acting role so far, but he's definitely an up-and-comer. Nobody has a name in this movie; it's all philanderer, wanderer, neophyte, whoremonger, drunkard, idler, fool, and--my personal favorite--pisser. I looked up Gregg Bello, the guy who plays "Pisser" in this. He's been in a few other things, but he seems to make it into all of Aronofsky's movies. In Noah, he plays a character called Testu-col.

Casting director: So, Mr. Bello, what other movies have I possibly seen you in?
Bello: Well, I was in a few Aronofsky movies.
Casting director: Oh, yeah? Who did you play?
Bello: I don't want to brag or anything, but I played Testu-col in Noah and Pisser in Mother!

A great use of sound, sharp editing, and terrific cinematography makes this an absorbing experience, the kind of movie that grabs you and doesn't let go. This never leaves the one setting--a gorgeous but kind of ludicrous house--and we see everything unfold from Jennifer Lawrence's perspective. There's a tangible claustrophobia during some scenes; you feel trapped in this location. There was one escape--an exit door--but my eyes were fixed on the screen, and I don't know if anybody departed early or not.

I really don't want to say more. This is the type of movie where you just need to sit and stare at a black screen for a while to let it settle. It'll nauseate some while moving others, and I don't think I could even argue with somebody who said they hated it. I think it's probably going to be one of the best movies of the year, however, and unlike anything I've seen before.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd really like to get your interpretation. What I got out of it is the following:

Javier is "God". Lawrence is "Mother Earth/The VIrgin Mary". The House represents the world. The beginning of the movie is the Biblical creation. God is bored and what's more attention. So, here comes Adam -- Ed Harris who won't stop complimenting him. Why he has a smoker's cough, I don't know. Then, he's puking with a would on his side. That's one less rib for him so that Michelle Pfeiffer can show up. She's a little more aware of the things around her -- Eve. Their two sons show up and one kills the other -- Caan & Abel. I mean, he's not really hiding much with all of that. The blood spot on the floor is shaped like a vagina...from what I've heard vaginas look like. I've never seen one in the flesh. That's motherhood/womanhood. Blood itself could be a symbol for motherhood...

As the story unfolds, God becomes a jealous god and really soaks up the attention from his followers. His words get written down, and BOOM!, the number one selling book in history -- THE BIBLE! Then, comes the on-the-noes dialogue:

"I create. That's what I do. That's what I am."
"The poets said to share everything."
"His words are now your words."
"They killed my son..." -- "We need to forgive them."

She begs him to tell them to all go away, and he finally yells, "I don't want them to go away..." Seriously, he's a jealous god.

This movie plays with the idea of Jesus as a celebrity. Since it's strictly from Lawrence's perspective, we get a glimpse of our human nature through her bewildered eyes. The House (the world) turns violent...war/jealousy/greed/idolatry. It's such a surreal experience. It was very dream-like. The feeling of "I know this isn't right, but I have to go with it" is something we all experience in dreams (or our sexual peccadilloes).

I admire the director for putting this together, but it did feel a little pretentious. I liked the storytelling through more than just dialogue. It was intensely visual and audio. Very much an experience.

Shane said...

Yes, that's pretty much how I see it. I'm not sure I'd say it's about a JEALOUS God exactly. I think it's more about humans and the mistake of giving them free will than it is about God. When left to our own devices, we destroy everything...that sort of thing. Humans are God's biggest mistake, especially when seen through the eyes of Jennifer Lawrence who isn't quite human.

Pretentious? Maybe, but I try not to use that word. I usually like things that most people would call pretentious.

Heh. I skimmed my little write-up here and noticed that I did use the word pretentious...

I didn't know what to think of the vagina-shaped (I guess...like you, I have no way of knowing WHAT those look like) blood spot. Your interpretation makes sense to me though.

Unknown said...

I'm willing to withdraw my description of "pretentious". I think he just made a piece of art, and it's ok if not everyone gets it. I just feel like when people intentionally make art so that it intentionally goes over peoples' heads, that is pretentious. I got that vibe here. There was a lot of obvious stuff, and then there was some things that I can't explain. Maybe I'm not smart enough. So, I'm gonna look up some interpretations on line and see what the consensus is.

I just texted you my questions:
1. What was that yellow liquid?
2. Why was Adam so sick with his coughing and puking?
3. What was the thing clogging the toilet that split and bled? (it was gross)
4. What is the crystal? I can only guess the "fruit" from the "Tree of Knowledge"...
5. Why is there a vagina in the floorboard?
6. Why is Eve portrayed so negatively?
7. What is she feeling/seeing when she touches the walls and see that embryo thing?
8. I'm curious if I came up with the same interpretation as everyone else...

Also, I guess you're right about God not being "jealous", per say. Still, that's how the Bible describes him. I guess the better word would be SELFISH.

Shane said...

I texted you my completely helpful answers.

To paraphrase for the rest of the crowd (ha!):

1) Don't know what that liquid was. I know I researched that after I saw the movie and couldn't find anybody else who did either.
2) Not sure. My guess is because he (as in we) is just not complete without the companion. Maybe the sickness was really loneliness.
3/7) I can't remember which of these was a heart. I think it was a heart (or something like a heart) in the toilet. Maybe it was just foreshadowing since Jennifer Lawrence's heart factors in at the end of the story? And I see the house and Jennifer Lawrence as being the same entity in this--Lawrence being sort of the soul of the house...the spirit of the earth. So if the house is preggers. . .
4) Yeah, I think it's exactly that. Crystal=forbidden fruit that Adam and Eve can't keep their hands off.
5) Well, God's got to knock up the house somehow, right?
6) In a religion created by men (as in males, not mankind), of course the woman is going to be blamed for everything. Eve's the one who first ate of the fruit. She's the one who caused all the problems, right?
8) I think so. I think it being a Biblical allegory (most humorously with what represented Noah's flood) is pretty obvious. I still think there's something deeper going on, a metaphor beneath the allegory. I think that's where it's more open to interpretation, making it a much more interesting film. I think it'd be kinda cool just as a Biblical allegory, but the discussion about what else is going on makes it even cooler. I can see it being about the creative process, an artist losing track of what the purpose of art is. And I can definitely see it having environmental themes.

Nah, don't take back "pretentious"...we both said that, so it's probably right. I don't think he's "intentionally over people's heads" though. I really think he made the Biblical allusions obvious enough that anybody with even a small background in the Old Testament could figure that out. Well, if they're willing to put a tiny bit of thought into it. I don't think it has anything to do with how smart you are either as you are one of the handful of people willing to put any thought at all into stuff like this.

Oh, the jealous thing...yeah, now that you mention that is Biblical, that's easier to accept. But Javier does seem more selfish than jealous in this.

See? This is the kind of movie I love because of discussions like this! And it's always what I hoped this blog would give me a chance to do! So thanks for your thoughts, Joshy.

Shane said...

Oh, by the way...I had the chance to type out those thoughts because 3 people totally stood me up for Bad Movie Club tonight.