Patton Oswalt: Annihilation


2017 comedy special

Rating: no rating

Plot: Patton Oswalt grabs at low-hanging Trump fruit and talks about becoming a widower.

I don't remember if I put stand-up comedy on this blog or not. Do I? Should I?

I like Oswalt and think he's a really decent human being and a very intelligent guy though he wouldn't make a list of my all-time favorite stand-up comedians. And I don't think this is one of his best stand-up specials. It's not one that I'd be interested in seeing again, and I didn't think anything here belongs with his best material. Listening to him talk about having to inform his daughter that her mother had passed away was touching.

2 comments:

cory said...

I'll comment on this since it is the only thing on the page besides "Ghostbusters" that I have seen. Patton Oswalt would have fit in perfectly on "Ghostbusters" now that I think of it. Would have certainly been happier material for him than this. I am always happy to listen to Trumpedy and would watch that kind of thing all day except that it is like getting a sugar fix where you are happy in the moment but when it is done you are back to the realization that life without sugar kind of sucks right now. So ends the clumsy metaphor. This started off well but got a bit awkward with the front row stuff and got a lot sad toward the end. I read up a bit on the circumstances of his wife's death and the sad was certainly earned, but an onstage therapy session limits the mood possiblities in a comedy special. I am glad I watched this but don't ever want to think about Oswalt's family again. I have enough to deal with as it is. Since you are not grading this then I am free to grade it in the way a normal person might :) giving it a B.

Shane said...

I think I'd enjoy banter with the audience if I was AT a show, but I don't think it's the sort of thing that would have much of a shelf life in a special like this.

I'm just going to completely ignore the "normal person" grade comment! This 20-point system is perfect.

Ok, I guess that's not ignoring it at all.