Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla


1974 sci-fi Godzilla movie

Rating: 11/20 (Tony: 14/20; Dylan: 16/20)

Plot: Godzilla fights his robot double to prevent destruction of the Earth!

Whoops! I got Cory confused with Jesus again. I usually save these Godzilla movies for Cory's birthday, but I had recorded this on my parents' television when I was spending a lot of time over there in October and November and figured that our family Christmas time was the best time to watch it.

I was pleased to see King Caesar, a monster I really enjoyed in Godzilla: Final Wars, in action. It was, however, disappointing that his nipples weren't the same. My daughter's cat, the fat one, is named Caesar, and we've decided that he's retroactively named after Godzilla's buddy.

Maybe it was because people kept trying to talk about Christmas and eating and presents and family and stuff during this, but my brother-in-law (a non-Cory brother-in-law) and son thought this was a little hard to follow. Wikipedia helped me out with this one.

It's always fun to watch these monsters throw each other around. In this one, the fight scenes have some real consequence. Godzilla's little armadillo buddy (Anguirus--I looked it up) scuttles off after a wound that looks like it could have almost been fatal, and even the big guy bleeds. Profusely! I thought his jugular was lacerated! Godzilla's robot double is a menacing hunk of sci-fi schlock that can shoot missiles from his fingers and blue laser vapor from his mouth. He can also fly. Godzilla himself isn't as menacing in this one. That horrifying screech works, but his arms seem to be a little T-Rexy in this one. The fight scenes worked.

The human characters are actually almost just as interesting as the monsters in this entry in the series. I particularly liked "Dude in Sunglasses." And those aliens could have definitely been pals with the guys from Plan 9 from Outer Space.

I'm not sure my family will let me get away with making this a Christmas tradition.

No comments: