School Daze


1988 joint

Rating: 12/20

Plot: Tensions run high at an all-black college during homecoming week.

It's unclear to me what this movie is about. Some of the social commentary and the satirical elements are clear, but the overall message is not. It's a movie stuffed with various types of conflicts, but I'm not sure it all congeals. Additionally, there are some questionable decisions made by Spike Lee with this one. At this stage, he's playful and he's learning, and it's a little surprising that a major studio let him get away with some of this in the late-80's.

There's not a single white face in this movie, and that's something.

I think my favorite part might be a pregame speech by Ossie Davis.

Anyway, it's entirely possible that I'm not the audience for this movie. It didn't seem like Fishburne was really yelling at me at the end.

No comments: