Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw


2019 action spin-off

Rating: 9/20 (Rubber Duck: 7/20; Kylie: 7/20)

Plot: Hobbs and Shaw, two tough guys who don't like each other very much, have to team up to save the world and gets Shaw's sister out of a bind.

It's hard to believe that a movie with a title that has two ampersands in it can disappoint, but this movie was profoundly disappointing. If I can't depend on a Fast & Furious movie anymore, I really don't know what I can depend on.

This movie leans heavily on the clashy rapport between the two leads. It also leans heavily on the two talking about each other's testicles. As much as I like the characters in the Fast & Furious movies, it's clear that too much of these characters can be a bad thing. The humor in this screenplay is forced, and although we get some moments where we get to see each character doing some totally ridiculous things--the kinds of things that usually get my own testicles tingling--the movie frequently grinds to a halt for clunky exposition and, by the end, all this familial conflict.

Just when you think the movie is ending, it doesn't. And then when it ends, there are about eighteen end-credit sequences that made me want to kick Iron Man in the crotch.

Three big action set pieces here, but the big moments were already kind of given away in the trailer. I liked Idris Elba's motorcycle even if his villain was a bit of a disappointment. I liked a car chase. The most ridiculous moment involves some hot rods chasing a helicopter. It's plenty ridiculous, sure, but it just isn't nearly as fun as Fast & Furious is supposed to be.

Though I liked some scenes where Statham and Johnson are shown side by side--in one early case, even in a split screen--to show off the differences in their personalities, Vanessa Kirby might be what I liked most about this movie.

Two ampersands!

No comments: