Ninotchka


1939 romantic comedy

Rating: 16/20

Plot: I have no time to write a plot synopsis. 

The biggest disappointment here might be that this is not a 1939 ninja movie. 

Early flirtation attempts by Melvyn Douglas reminded me of my own, always ending with the lady I was interested in saying something like "Your type will soon be extinct." There are lines in this Wilder/Brackett screenplay that sparkle, and when this contrasts the harsh and comically practical and completely humorless Garbo with the more poetic, idealistic, and funny Douglas, this really sizzles. I'm not sure the movie is as good once Garbo's character cracks. 

I just used the words "sparkle" and "sizzles" in this, and it's deeply disturbing, probably for everybody. 

What I can appreciate about this '39 romantic comedy is that it's not one of those typical romances where two people meet and unrealistically fall in love. No, this has more to do with two characters being horny. 

Speaking of horny, how about that trio of Russian dudes? "Comrades, if we ring nine times?" That's a great line. 








No comments: