Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire


1987 musical

Rating: 14/20

Plot: An up-and-coming snooker player challenges the champ, the titular sorta-vampire, to a match where the loser has to retire from the sport forever.

This was recommended by my friend Eric who insisted I watch it before finalizing my list of favorite movies from 1987. It's got a little Rocky Horror and a little Tommy, neither which are movies I like all that much. It's also got a lot of snooker. Snooker isn't used as a spiritual metaphor or anything like pinball is in Tommy. Instead, it just happens to be the game the real-life characters who this is loosely (I assume) based on play. That makes the whole thing feel a little empty or devoid of meaning. It probably doesn't help that I don't know anything about the rules of snooker although I did really enjoy watching the titular pair playing with their balls.

Having said that, there were a whole lot of extended sequences of these two playing with their balls.

What I did really love about this was the camera work. The camera moves in inventive ways and the shots always make this look way more expensive than I believe it was. Alan Clarke takes some chances with this movie, and that's something you just have to appreciate.

I didn't mind the music, I suppose, especially for this being a music that comes from the 80s. Then again, I don't really remember any of the songs either, and I just saw this a day ago.

I'm not sure I would insist that anybody watch this before making a list of favorite movies from 1987, but I'm not disappointed that I watched it. If you like these sorts of alternative musicals or snooker, you're likely to enjoy this.

No comments: