Frozen II


2019 animated sequel

Rating: 12/20 (Jen: 18/20; Abbey: 12/20; Emma: 12/20; Buster: 19.5/20)

Plot: Anna, Elsa, the snowman, the guy, and the reindeer venture out of the kingdom to save a mystical forest or something.

Though I appreciate how weird this sometimes got and the hippie themes that emerge by the time this wraps up, I really had no interest in spending time with these characters or their stupid songs again. Frozen II almost convinced me that it was pretty good at the end, but then I thought about how predictable it was, how tired the storytelling was, and how bland this collection of characters were and didn't fall for it. None of the humor works, the songs were all pretty bland, and subplots about the snowman's maturity (which, I'll admit, does fit in thematically with the big climate change message) or the reindeer's owner (I want to say his name is Sven, but that might be the reindeer's name) seemed like filler. I figured there would be lots of new characters in order to sell more toys just in time for Christmas, but that wasn't really the case unless kids are dying to find a fire iguana, a water horse, or a giant rock man under their tree.

Another sequel was previewed--Trolls 2. I almost committed seppuku by the end of the preview, but I didn't want to ruin a movie for my family with a disembowelment again.

No comments: