Oprah Movie Club: Once Upon a Time in the West

1968 Western

Rating: 19/20

Plot: Some guy who might have a name travels the Wild West in search of some talented musicians to complete a band he wants to start--The Belt and Suspenders Blues Band. At the beginning of our story, he's got himself on lead harmonica, and all he needs to complete the band are a back-up harmonica, a gitfiddle, a drummer, a stand-up bass, a washboard, a bottle blower, a harpist, a bassoonist, a tromboner, another tromboner, an accordionist, a piano player, a lead singer, four mildly-attractive women for back-up singers, a beat-box, and another back-up harmonica player. Meanwhile, a guy who's usually a good guy but in this movie is a bad guy has been sent by a guy with his own train to scare a nerd with "the worst hair west of the Mississippi" and either does a really poor job or a really good job. Then, his wife--Boobsy McWhoresalot--shows up and starts distracting everybody. She realizes that her honeymoon is likely ruined and makes some coffee. A bunch of ugly guys are shot, and it all builds up to a thrilling climax when a dying man pats Boobsy on her sweet sweet behind.

"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?"

See, I didn't remember this movie had a character who wore both a belt and suspenders. There was a line in Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole about belts and suspenders and a line in a novel that will remain unfinished because I'm too much of a dumbass to write a stinking chapter of it with a character who wears both. I might need a "belt and suspenders" blog label. Can you imagine Nicolas Cage playing a character who wore both a belt and suspenders? Pants would literally be shat!

Did everybody but me know that Dario Argento co-wrote this?

There's more goodness in the first fifteen minutes of this thing than most directors can dream of putting together in their entire careers. Bird taunting, whistling metal, a stutterer, veins on a dark hand, a ticket flying right into my living room. Under the direction of Leone, I'm pretty sure I could have watched these characters sit around and do absolutely nothing for two hours and forty minutes or so, all scenery and glorious sound effects. I'm not sure who's decision it was--Morricone's or Leone's--to not have music over the opening scene at the train station. If it was the composer's decision, this might be his best work. And that's saying a ton. This movie doesn't need to go anywhere. You've got a screen packed with details, and you just want to absorb it all. There are chunks of this movie where it's barely a moving picture. The pace is leisurely, and that allows us to just savor it. It's more a summertime movie pace, but it's the kind of pace I love, especially when there's so much to look at. Of course, contrast the overall pace to the blink-and-you-miss-it climactic gun fight.

I also love the character's dynamics and the often confusing relationships. They operate with these unwritten rules, this code that shows that Leone's version of the Wild West has this underlying structure. In fact, you almost wonder what samurai movie Leone lifted the story and its characters from. The characters, by the way, are just so complete. You don't need their back stories. All it takes a few moments on the screen and a few lines of dialogue and you just get them. Bronson ain't Eastwood, but everything he says is so cool. Fonda makes a great bad guy (love his sinner's smile), and Claudia Cardinale is so cute that I'll likely dream about patting her behind myself. Robards' Cheyenne is a complex and tragic figure. And they all get their own music! The periphery characters fill in the gaps. As Scott commented (premature commentation, by the way, but I'll allow it), Elam's "wandering eye" is a nice little detail, but really all of these characters' faces twitch or contort in ways that mine can't. I should know because I spent some time in front of the mirror trying to look tough after watching this movie. Leone's really put together a Who's-Who of Grizzled Guys. He sure loves his close-ups.

My favorite moment: Fonda searching Morton's train while the camera pans over a ground littered with dead bodies. When Fonda exits, it's almost enough to convince you that Leone was the greatest director ever. As I type this, I can think of about fifteen other favorite moments or shots in this.

This is a big movie, successful as a Western revenge epic or as an ode (or maybe an elegy) to the American West. Poetic and shockingly beautiful.

I should add that the way Charles Bronson holds that harmonica is perfect.

15 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

I'll have to give this a 20. I think it's the combo of the way he holds the harmonica and the un-synched reverb harmonica score that don't quite mesh. The point subtracted is re-added due to Cardinale's eyes. I wish everyone could see this on the big screen. Those eyes.

What do you make of Bronson tearing her dress for some décolletage? Is it just to make her more visible to the gunmen? It seemed out of character for Harmonica. I love her décolletage.

Apparently Morricone saw a live performance of a guy playing a metal ladder that inspired the opening "score." Genius! There is a second disc that comes with the special edition with some great documentaries. In one interview Leone is lounging in this long wizard robe. And John Milius is really looking like his alter ego Walter in Lebowski.
I want to go Monument Valley so bad.

cory said...

I love this movie. It is grand, epic, and at the same time, very intimate. It's great visually, with incredibly detailed and beautiful cinematography, and the soundtrack ranks with "Jaws" as my all-time favorite. There is nothing in my experience with movies to equal the haunting electric guitar and then the wailing/crying harmonica, and when the mystery is revealed at the end, that music is as perfect as a sountrack can be.

All of the characters, minor and major, fill the screen with charisma, even, as you say, when they are doing almost nothing. I also like what you say about an unspoken code. Fonda's bad guy is so good mainly because we can see that he is struggling in a world where his code no longer matters.

I would rank this as the greatest made western and would give it a 19 (minus one for some of the diagolue that sounds dubbed).

Shane said...

I had heard the ladder story before.

Decolletage? You're not allowed to use words like that on the blog, man. I don't even know how to give my e an accent. RE: the scene...it's either my least favorite or my favorite scene in the movie. I don't get Harmonica's motivation there. Everything else he does is aimed at that one purpose. That just seemed like a distraction. Not sure I can complain though because I appreciated the decolletage.

Good point about Fonda, Cory. When we first meet him, he's this evil presence that overwhelms the screen. As things go on, that kind of evil starts to seem antiquated. He looks like a beaten man way before he's beaten, an evil that is about to be replaced by a different kind of evil.

cory said...

Very well put.

Barry said...

I think I have this graded the lowest out of everyone who saw it...with a 17. I really enjoy it, but there are some really slow parts, and Leone spends a LOT of time lingering on unnecessary scenes. Yes that tumbleweed is still tumbling Sergio.


Otherwise, its a movie that shows that Henry Fonda was the most wasted actor in Hollywood history. Here is this great, ice cold, EVIL villain, and he spends his career cast as Tom Joad and Abe Lincoln. (Not that those are bad things,) Even when Fonda was in a Hitchcock film, where old Alfred could show a little bit of the dark side of uber nice guys like Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant, Fonda was in a picture where he is a good guy all the way through.

I like the concept of Charles Bronson as the anti-heroic gunman. That works extremely well, except I never bought that he was better than Frank. I guess it was a case of Harmonica spending his life just to kill Frank. Everyone has their kryptonite.

Anyway, as I said a month ago, great choice. Glad to get a chance to watch this again.

Matt Snell said...

It was great to see this again. I can't name a movie with a more cinematic feel. It seems like it has one foot in two worlds - on the one hand it looks a bit like a lot of quainter sixties Westerns, with the cheesy colour turning McBain's face orange and Harmonica's lips bright pink, and there's a a slightly stagy feel to some of the sets. The sound effects can also be pretty blunt, and I wonder if we'll look back on the Coen's True Grit and think the hair is quintessentially 2010. At the same time some of the tracking shots and closeups seem to anticipate the kind of moviemaking you'd see in the theatre today - like the train-searching scene you mentioned, Shane.

Also: Ennio Morricone is the greatest musical being who ever lived.

As for the decolletage stuff, I have to say I got a stronger sense of sixties machismo than of historical authenticity. Cheyenne's ass-pat farewell pep talk pretty well sealed the deal. It made me look for the homoerotic subtext - it's got a domineering attitude towards women, but at the same time the camera lingers pretty lovingly on men's jowls and crow's feet.

I feel like I'm giving this movie a hard time, but I really enjoyed it. I didn't feel all that attached to the storyline or characters, even though the performances are brilliant, but at the same time I loved getting carried along by it. I think it has to do with the feeling you're being guided by a sure hand.

For next month, how about Paprika, by Satoshi Kon? I've been looking for an excuse to see it again, and I wanted to choose something that was weird and juicy but plenty entertaining as well. It came out before Inception, has a very similar premise, and is a vastly superior movie. If you can track it down, that'd be my pick.

Matt Snell said...

P.S. Major bonus points for referencing Ace in the Hole. That line "I've lied to men in belts, I've lied to men in suspenders..." has stuck with me too even though I forget almost everything else about the movie.

Shane said...

What do you mean "BUT" there are so parts, Barry? The slow parts are what makes it what it is!

Yeah, I can see what you're saying though. It could almost be a 'style over substance' type argument.

Frank was getting old and he had to die. As we sort of said up there, Frank really dies in a couple different ways.

Matt, I'm all for something weird, juicy, and superior to 'Inception'...a couple of those might describe my honeymoon actually. (If I had a cymbal, I'd slap it.) I've actually had 'Paprika' on the Netflix queue for a really long time and never pulled the trigger. I'll make it official-like in the "Announcements" part of the blog (that nobody reads) and by letting all of my Facebook friends aware with a status update (that nobody will read).

Men's jowls and crow's feet lingering...this movie would be normal-sized (say, 90 minutes) if you shortened all those extended close-ups of guys' faces.

Anonymous said...

generic xanax online xanax pills with alcohol - buy xanax 1mg

Anonymous said...

xanax online generic medication xanax - xanax bars 56 65

Anonymous said...

ambien no rx proper dosage ambien - generic med ambien cr

Anonymous said...

diazepam 5mg diazepam dosage for adults - buy diazepam online+mastercard

Anonymous said...

valium online valium side effects short term use - valium high duration

Anonymous said...

buy xanax xanax pills 2088 - taking xanax for anxiety

Anonymous said...

ativan medication apo-lorazepam tab 1mg - ativan rebound anxiety