Shane Watches a Bad Movie with Friends on Facebook: The Slumber Party Massacre

1982 horror movie

Rating: 5/20 (Eric: 7/20; Libby: 6/20; Fred: 5/20; Bryan: did not finish)

Plot: A guy with a drill massacres guests at a slumber party. Come on. You couldn't get that from the title?

I want to know if there's a record for the most false scares in a single movie. You know what I mean by "false scare," don't you? The moment's intense, the music suggests something is going to happen, and then there's a cat or the completely harmless neighbor you met earlier in the movie. This movie has more false scares than real ones along with the gratuitous nudity and brassiere-free and sometimes pantsless "teenagers" you'd expect in a movie like this. I was surprised that this was both written and directed by women. I wonder what it means that they gave the killer such an obvious phallic symbol for a weapon. There's got to be some feminist subtext there. My pals enjoyed it slightly more than Bee Girls although it's derivative and has humor that just doesn't work at all. I was enamored by Jean Vargas who played a telephone repairwoman and victim. Unfortunately, this was her only movie. I'm not sure fans of the serial-killers-at-a-slumber-party genre would like this one very much.

5 comments:

rio blanco racing said...

a female telephone repairman??? thats not a thing.

Shane said...

Heh. Yeah, that is a pretty stupid thing to type. I'm leaving it as is even though deleting your comment, editing the post, and going about my business would help me retain credibility.

rio blanco racing said...

come on this has to be a male dominated field. besides who has a landline anymore?
credibility?????

Shane said...

When movies like 'The Slumber Party Massacre' were made, people had landlines.

Anonymous said...

and none of them were repaired by women.
for me this is more of an anti telephone repairman thing what woman would want this job? not saying women CANT do the job just that they WOULDNT want to.