Far and Away


1992 snooze fest

Rating: 10/20 (Emma: 14/20)

Plot: Immigrants dream of owning land in Oklahoma because they've never been to Oklahoma.

Emma had to watch a movie that had to do with American history, ignored my recommendations, and settled on this. Apparently, she didn't realize that this is one of the few Nicole Kidman movies where she doesn't get naked, and that's unfortunate because I've always liked seeing Nicole Kidman naked. I imagine this movie is about as historically accurate as something this plush and glossy, and like Titanic with its boiling down of a tragic event to a single love story with a bunch of special effects, this takes the immigrants' struggle to live the American dream and boils it down to a love story between a tiny gay man and the star of BMX Bandits, a weird and plastic goddess. There's such a lack of substance to this thing, just two hours and twenty minutes of bloated banality. You aren't really given any reason to care about the characters you're supposed to root for, and you barely remember that the other characters are in the movie, even when they're on the screen. This might not be bad enough for me to be able to use a clever "Stay far and away from this one, people," but it's definitely forgettable. I can't believe I've seen this twice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't feel bad. I've seen it three-and-a-half times. I guess by the third time, I figured Nicole Kidman would get the hint, and actually get naked... Robert Prosky played a good part...even though he didn't get naked either...