Mean Girls


2004 comedy

Rating: 12/20 (Jen: 15/20; Emma: 14/20)

Plot: Formally homeschooled Cady navigates the cliqueish waters of her new high school and infiltrates a group of preppy and snobbish mean girls called The Plastics.

I just want to point out that watching this was not my idea. It's not a Rachel McAdams thing at all. As likable as she is in the dozen or so time travel movies she's in--and I haven't stopped thinking about her since I watched About Time--she's completely unlikable here. Of course, she's supposed to be unlikable, so I guess it's a job well done. Lindsey Lohan is supposed to exist somewhere in the gray area between likable and unlikable, but I thought she leaned too much toward the latter to make the character work.

Tina Fey's written better stuff. This is a return to 80's teen comedies, like a Heathers without as much darkness or anybody doing weird Jack Nicholson impersonations. I don't think the satire really connects, and it's only funny in spurts. Tim Meadows was just about my favorite part of the movie actually.

No comments: