A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night


2014 Iranian vampire movie

Rating: 15/20

Plot: Doesn't the title make is self explanatory?

I wasn't thrilled about watching yet another vampire movie, but this is not your traditional vampire movie. Maybe it's because I just saw Jarmusch's venture into the vampire genre, but this reminded me of a Jarmusch movie. It could have just been the black and white and pace talking, but this was somewhere in between his first few movies and the current stuff he's doing.

The star of this movie is the cinematography. Pause this pretty much anywhere along the way and you'll likely have something you can hang on the wall. The black and white is often stunning, fuzzy in just the right places and striking in others. It enhances the mood in this mysterious "Bad City," a place with apparently about 7 people living in it. The story has a lot to do with loneliness, and the way it's shot intensifies that loneliness. I just loved scenes with the "girl" lurking in the background. It's really beautifully shot, and first-time (feature film) director Ana Lily Amirpour's vision is impressive.

My favorite scene is almost a non-sequitur, a scene with a transvestite dancing in a decrepit setting with a black balloon. I watched this late, and I was tired and could have missed something. But I don't recall this character being in any of the movie's other scenes. Good stuff though.


I'm assuming this has a feminist message. You've got a woman with all this power in an area of the world where women aren't regarded as powerful. I'm not sure why she needs to skateboard exactly though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the drag queen was in another shot. in the dance club a little earlier maybe.
you failed to mention the incredible acting by the cat. you also didnt mention the long shots you love so well. my fav scene was the one right before your fav. just the female vampire listening to music on her record player far right screen and the male protagonist slowly entering the shot on the left side. slow and mesmerizing and beautiful.
i need to watch this again to have anything intelligent to say about plot or motive.
20

Shane said...

I think I do remember the drag queen in the dance club scene now that you mention it.
You overrated that cat's performance. The cat kept looking at the camera. That's amateur hour stuff.