Night at the Museum

2006 family comedy

Rating: 11/20

Plot: Unemployed Larry Daley is a disappointment to his son. He manages to land a job as a night security guard at a museum but discovers the exhibits come alive at night because of some Egyptian gold tablet thing or something. Just as he starts to get the hang of controlling things at the museum, he finds out that he also has to stop criminals from stealing the Egyptian gold tablet thing. All while simultaneously winning the affections of his son and the pretty tour guide! Go, Larry Daley, go!

I think there's a clever premise here, but it too often takes these nose dives into these chasms of stupidity. Why does Teddy Roosevelt need to have a crush on Sacagawea, for example? Why does the Easter Island head demand gum? There are some funny moments, but there are more occasions when the story is cliched and predictable or the gag goes on for too long. At times, this thing sparkles with life and is both fun and kid friendly, but at other times there is way too much going on and the action gets chaotic and distractingly unbelievable. There's a mean monkey, too, and I just can't tolerate mean monkeys. Mickey Rooney might be the best thing about this movie although I also liked Ricky Gervais as the museum's manager/director/whatever-they're-called and Steve Coogan and Owen Wilson as miniature gladiator and cowboy. This is a big loud movie (the kind of movie I watch parts of in pain, just wishing it was a silent comedy), and perhaps the nicest thing I can say about it is that it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. I'd also not object to seeing the upcoming sequel.

This was a school movie. I suggested Buster Keaton movies instead, but my colleagues weren't interested.

3 comments:

cory said...

I'm not going to say this is a great movie, but I think a 10 is pretty harsh. I wasn't concerned why the Easter Island head wanted gum, so long as he kept rhyming gum gum, dumb dumb, and yum yum. That's classic. Stiller was good, I really like Wilson in this, and van Dyke is a great bad guy. Oh, and monkeys are evil, on the whole. There are a LOT of little flaws in this, but I was pretty entertained thoughout. It deserves a better grade than you gave it, like say a 14.

Shane said...

You're probably right. I have changed my rating!

cory said...

I feel totally vindicated, now. Thanks for seeing the error of your ways.