Iron Man

2008 comic book movie

Rating: 11/20

Plot: Part two of the biography of baseball Hall of Famer Cal Ripken who broke Lou Gehrig's "iron man" consecutive game streak. This is the part of the future Oriole superstar's story in which he winds up in Afghanistan where terrorists are forcing him to build a fancy missile. Instead, he builds a suit of armor and busts out of there. "Ain't no time to [censored] around," he said. "I've got spring training to get ready for." Cue Black Sabbath song.

It's starting to get to the point where if you've seen one comic book superhero movie, you've seen 'em all. And I'm not entirely sure why I keep subjecting myself to them. Robert Downey Jr. (the greatest actor of all time) doesn't really need to be in this. His performance seems half-assed, and anybody who sort of looks like him (read: dreamy) would have sufficed. I'm not sure what was going on with his facial hair anyway. About one-fourth of this movie consists of montages of Robert Downey Jr. building things and despite the guitar music accompanying that building action, I wasn't exactly moved. The story is predictable and really sort of lame in a way that mirrors the recent Hulk movie, and although I know I should probably not tear something apart because of what seem to be scientific illogicalities (of which this has many), that stuff really seemed to get in the way of the story here. I also thought the Iron Man looked dopey, and the action scenes, even though the special effects were adequate, were mostly at a distance which did nothing to bring the action into my living room. And I hated the rock 'n' roll soundtrack. Ho-hum.

6 comments:

cory said...

You think he looks "dreamy"? Do I need to have a talk with Jennifer?

I agree that plausibility is an issue, but overall I think it is an above average action movie, and once again your grade is harsh. I liked Bridges as the bad guy. I also liked that the relationship with Paltrow wasn't predictable, and that there was a lot of nice humor. I especially liked that the climax was not drawn out and was well done. I can't imagine why it made 300 million, but I would give it a 15.

Shane said...

Nah, Jennifer knows that Downey Jr. is dreamy. Actually, I'm pretty sure he is one of those celebrities that she can't stand. I know she's a big fan of 'Natural Born Killers' though.

Like almost every other comic book movie I've seen in the past couple years (including those 'Batman' movies), this one falls to pieces the longer it goes. I think I liked this movie more when it wasn't an action movie. The climax reminded me of the Hulk v. Orange Hulk fight. It was dark (disguising crummy cgi?), corny, and far too long. Did you see a theatrical version or something with a climax that wasn't drawn out and well done? That's not what I saw. Paltrow was terrible (or at least terribly miscast), and it looked like Bridges was phoning it in. I felt that this was a pretty average comic book movie which, when compared to good action movies, makes it less than average. I would have given it a 13 though if it wasn't for that weird press conference ending and for all that awful guitar-driven soundtrack.

cory said...

I'm trying to get my head around Jennifer liking "Natural Born Killers". Is that true? Wow. That film is putrid fecal matter.

Besides that, I have to stick with my view and say that I don't agree with you on anything, except I have no opinion on Downey Jr. dreaminess. I saw it on TV, actually.

Shane said...

No no...she actually hates 'Natural Born Killers'. I know we saw that one in a theater. I kind of liked it then (it's hilarious!), but I haven't seen it since. I'm sure 'Natural Born Killers' is a better movie than 'Iron Man' though! They both might have similar soundtracks.

Actually, now that I think about it, 'NBK' had a kickass soundtrack. I think that's the first time I heard Leonard Cohen, and I believe a Dylan song was used, too.

cory said...

Yes, that's ultimately how I judge all movies, by their soundtrack! Actually, Leonard Cohen has one song called "Everybody Knows" that I love. I have no idea what else he has done, but Bono likes him, so he must be great.

Shane said...

Bono? What's he know?

Leonard Cohen is great! He's got several songs in another of your favorites, 'McCabe and Mrs. Miller'...

Soundtracks are an important piece. The music in 'Iron Man' dropped it a full point and a half for me.