Spirited Away

2001 Japanese cartoon

Rating: 19/20

Plot: Chihiro and her parents are moving to a new home in a new town. She's only ten and doesn't really want to move, but children don't get to make those kinds of decisions. On the way, her father detours and takes the family to an abandoned theme park. While there, her parents gluttonously devour the goods at an abandoned restaurant and turn into pigs. A boy named Haku tries to convince her to leave, but it's too late. Spirits gradually arrive and frequent a bath house. Chihiro has to find a way to transform her parents back into parents and finds out that getting a job at the bath house is the only way. A big-headed witch, a stinky spirit, a six-armed boiler room man, anthropomorphic dust mites, a magical ghost thingy, and dozens of other unusual character help and/or get in her way.

It's really difficult for me to articulate why this film connects with me like it does. For whatever reason, it seeps into the lobes. I think I would give this a 20 if I were Japanese. I'm sure there's some references to Japanese folklore, Japanese customs, or Japanese history that I'm not hip to that unfortunately probably hurts my chances of ever fully understanding this. I can appreciate the real sense of wonder and dreamy mystery, the gorgeous animation, the originality of the characters, and both the gentle fragility and thematic depth of the story. Like a Japanese Alice in Wonderland, it doesn't actually have to mean anything at all to succeed, but like all great works of art (and this is a great work of art), it's completely open to interpretation and does mean several things at once to difference audiences. Is it a coming-of-age story? Is it a critique of the greed and thoughtlessness of contemporary society? Is it about the contrast between the innocence of childhood and the futility and confusion of adulthood? Who knows? But it is exactly what an animated fairy tale should be. If dreams were as good as this, I would never want to wake up. Miyazaki has borrowed from the world we inhabit and managed to create an entirely new world, one with its own rules, its own logic, its own norms. Enchanting and wonderful and vivid and rich and magical and fantastic, this world in Spirited Away is impossible to forget and a joy to ponder. It's easy to feel lost but at the same time absorbed, and that's exactly what makes this animated movie about as good as animated movies can get.

6 comments:

cory said...

This would be my favorite anime (?)film. The imagination behind this is amazing and the little girl is terrific. A 16.

Shane said...

Have you seen 'My Neighbor Totoro'? I really like that one, too. I've actually liked all these Miyazaki movies even though the narratives are often pretty frustrating.

cory said...

I haven't seen that one. I have seen "Howl's..." and "... Mononoke". Again, both had amazing imagination, but maybe the weirdness or animation style keep them from being top movies for me. "Spirited Away" is the only one that I would care to watch again, maybe because it was more emotionally involving.

Shane said...

'Howl' especially bewildered me. I really lost my way in that one. 'Mono' was confusing, too. I sometimes have trouble with fantasy.

Unknown said...

I disliked this movie. I dislike almost all anime though. (Unless Speed Racer is considered Anime)


I have been forced to sit through this, Howels Moving Castle, Monokoke, and a couple others by my little sister. I nodded my head and thanked her for showing them to me, then silently cursed her for taking more hours out of my remaining dwindling lifespan. They are just too much work for me. Plus I dont really relate that much to teenage japanese girls.

Shane said...

And for the most part, Miyazaki uses young female protagonists...I'm not sure why that is. There are a couple exceptions. 'Porco Rosso' has an interesting, male lead.

Sure, 'Speed Racer' is anime. It's not bad. I can't really say that I like anime that much either, but I do like Miyazaki's movies a lot. I'll agree that there's a lot of work involved though. I really have to work to try to figure out what's going on in them.