Soultaker

1990 thriller

Rating: 8/20

Plot: After a pleasurable day at Summerfest, four teenagers are involved in an automobile accident. One of Martin Sheen's relatives (no, not that one. . .no, not that one either), an angel in a black trenchcoat, tries to take their souls, but they aren't ready to die yet. So he chases them through the land while "Yakety Sax" plays.

I would say that while I was watching Soultaker, I felt as if my soul was being taken but it would be too easy. This is definitely a product of 1983, but unfortunately it came out in 1990. An alternate title could be Timewaster which is shocking considering how cool the poster looks. I mean, check it out. Joe Estevez in a doorway with lightning all around him? How can that miss? Despite this movie's problems, I actually sort of liked the story and thought Joe Estevez's performance was especially gripping. He's built up quite the resume, by the way, acting in 190 television shows and movies including, Max Hell Frog Warrior. Actually, he's had 90 roles (mostly movies) since 2000 which is just an incredible pace. Lots of zombie movies. He'll catch up with Martin soon enough. I also liked writer and star Vivian Schilling and think she should do more five minute slow-motion scenes in her underwear.

I just did a little reading about Max Hell Frog Warrior. That's going straight to the top of my list of must-see movies! Director Scott Shaw has adopted what he calls "Zen filmmaking" which essentially means he films without the use of a screenplay. Look at this thing:


Hell yeah! Anybody want to buy this for me?





No comments: