The Purple Rose of Cairo

1985 romantic comedy

Rating: 17/20

Plot: It's the happy 1930s, but Cecilia the waitress doesn't have much to be happy about. She has job troubles, a loaf of an abusive husband, and not much hope. Her only escape is the theater, especially in the movie-within-the-movie, The Purple Rose of Cairo, and one of its characters, Tom Baxter. After her fifth or so trip to see the movie, Tom Baxter notices her and decides to leave the film. This bothers the other characters in the movie, the titular film's producers, and Gil Shepherd who plays Tom Baxter.

It starts slowly and realistically, but once the moment arrives, a great magically-realistic Woody Allen moment, this is relentlessly fun for anybody wanting to sit down and watch an entertaining rom-com and delicately layered for anybody who likes to think when they watch movies. I couldn't help thinking of Buster's Sherlock Jr. during the fantastical meta-moments, and like that classic silent comedy, this one has this creative fervor, taking a tired genre (romantic comedy) and injecting an infectious liveliness into it. I really liked Mia Farrow and I really really liked Jeff Daniels in dual-roles. Baxter and Shepherd are similar, but it's the subtle differences in the two that make his performance so impressive. Rose is very well written with Allen managing to create a fantasy with characters believable enough to make me completely buy the premise, kind of an anti-The Invention of Lying. It's also really funny. But I like to pretend that I'm a thinking man, and it's the questions this movie raises (not necessarily answers) about fantasy and reality, the role of cinema, and Hollywood ideals that makes this special. Woodyheads, of course, would love it, maybe more than anything else he directed in the 80s, but there's enough here for any cinemaphile to love. It's delightful!

3 comments:

Barry said...

One of those Woody Allen movies that has an interesting premise, then no where to go with it. The fact that Mia Farrow is at least ten years older than Jeff Daniels, (And looks it) does not help the romance any.


I liked this movie in parts, but it was a single joke that had nowhere to go. Have you seen Zelig? I think its a similar idea, (A single joke) done better for most of the movie.


I give this a 14....it didnt enchant me in the same way it did you, and the downer ending just left a sour taste in my mouth about the whole film.

Shane said...

I didn't think it was a downer ending...I saw it more as a hopeful one.

I didn't have problems with Farrow and Daniels' ages.

I have seen 'Zelig,' maybe my favorite Woody Allen movie. Love that one!

Kairow said...

Delightful