The Taming of the Shrew

1967 Shakespeare comedy

Rating: 16/20

Plot: Katharina is a shrew, and she needs tamed. Enter brazen Petruchio, money hungry and chauvinistic. He's also a snazzy dresser. He essentially bullies her into a marriage and a life as a homemaker in a shabby castle. Then, he's real mean to her and unfortunately, as far as I could tell, never gets to see her naked.

My only issue with this comedy is that I didn't buy or maybe even understand the transition from shrew to obedient wife, but I blame Shakespeare, universally known as a lousy playwright. The dialogue's juicy and randy, and both Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton know how to bounce lines off each other. I really liked the ever-changing settings and their abundance of colors. More than likely this has essentially ruined any future stage production of this that I might accidentally see, and I can't imagine these characters confined to a stage . There's some nifty period details, too, like the guy in a cage with the drunkard sign. This is lighthearted, as fluffy as one of Kate's dresses. I don't recall whether this is one of the bard's most acclaimed comedies, but I enjoyed its characters, its outdated and politically correct ideals, and all the dirty puns. A lively and delightful way to pass an afternoon.

Cory, obsessed with all things delightful, recommended this one. He's got a thing for Elizabeth Taylor, presently.

4 comments:

cory said...

I am delighted with your delightful review of what can only be described as an afternoon delight of a movie.

Burton and Taylor truly delight an audience with their delightfulness, delightedly bantering delightfully dilightsome dialogue. Like you, Shakespeare and this couple are delighters of the first order. A 17.

cory said...

I am running out of comedies, so the replacement with a huge **subjective warning** is "The Ref".

Kairow said...

Yes to "The Ref."

It's set at Christmas so the perfect time of year for it.

Anonymous said...

I have read a scarcely any of the articles on your website trendy, and I definitely like your fashionableness of blogging. I added it to my favorites entanglement page file and will be checking back soon. Will repress out my orientation as well and leave to me conscious what you think. Thanks.