Everything Must Go

2010 Will Ferrell comedy

Rating: 12/20

Plot: Nick's alcoholism causes him to lose his job and his wife in the same day. Since he's locked out of his home with all of his stuff in the front yard, he decides to just to just live on his lawn. When his police friend tells him that he's not supposed to do that, he decides, with the help of a black kid he befriends, to have a yard sale and get rid of the titular everything.

I imagine this movie pissed off Will Ferrell fans, as if any of them even know this exists, just like Punch-Drunk Love pissed off Adam Sandler fans. I really wanted to like this one, but the symbolism was a little heavy-handed and things just got so generic and simple in the end. And although there are some humorous moments, this lacks the amount of depth needed to tackle a subject matter like alcoholism humorously. We see Ferrell drinking a lot, but not in a way that is either funny or meaningful. If the latter makes sense. The performances weren't bad, especially since Will Ferrell wasn't very Will Ferrell, and I especially liked the kid's character even though he was played by a guy with too many names--Christopher Jordan Wallace. I just didn't like where this story took Ferrell's character, both the good and bad places. It was all just stuff that could only happen in an independent movie.

I broke my "No Will Ferrell Movies" rule again. I'm just never going to learn.

2 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

Will Farrell has no place in a Raymond Carver movie.

Shane said...

Happy birthday!

Will Ferrell is my birthday present to you. Pick whichever one of his movies you want, and I will buy it for you. No, better idea. I will find the script and refilm the thing with me taking the place of Will Ferrell.