The Times of Harvey Milk

1984 documentary

Rating: 17/20

Plot: The assassination of Harvey Milk by that coward Dan White.

OK, so this is about more than the assassination. The assassination bookends the story, but the bulk of this is about the life and political career of the titular gay guy, and it's absolutely impossible to watch this and not think one thing: Aside from his sexual proclivities, which for reasons that I'll never understand really bother some people, the world could use a lot more Harvey Milks. At least more people just as caring and compassionate. The leadership skills displayed in this documentary are inspiring, and what he was able to accomplish in less than a year really makes you wonder why more can't get done by other politicians. I was surprised that this was made so soon after the assassination. Six years? Is that right? I'm guessing it helped the story have a wider reach and enough steam to reach Sean Penn. I wasn't very old when this happened, so I'm not sure if this was a big news story nationally. To be honest, I think I first heard of Harvey Milk when the Sean Penn movie came out. I had a wild range of emotions while watching this one. The recording of Milk reading from his will was chillingly prescient with Milk "knowing that I could be assassinated at any time." After the murder and the court case, I was as angry as I've ever been watching a documentary about something that happened over thirty years ago. I had to pause the dvd, go outside, and throw a rock through the window of a Radio Shack. And of course there was the shock in finding out that it was junk food that really drove Dan White to do what he did. And the candlelight vigil brought tears to my eyes, partially because I don't like seeing people sad en masse but also because of the amount of support for, I assume, what Milk represented. And what did he represent? I guess that would be hope since the movie ends with Milk saying that life isn't worth living without it. This is a well-built and moving documentary that everybody should watch.

3 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

I should watch this. I first heard about Harvey Milk with this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dB_ubVAnGw which is about the Twinkie Defense.

cory said...

I really liked your review and am glad you liked this. I had all of the same reactions as you did to this doc that really caught me off guard. I remember when it happened and the general outraged reaction to the twinkie defense, but the important thing in all of this was the, for lack of a better term, humanity of the unique Harvey Milk. The candlelight march and vigil also brought tears to my eyes, and I was very touched by the excellent film as a whole. Also a 17. Thanks for watching it.

If you want a doc replacement, I would recommend "Fog of War".

Shane said...

Soon. I like Errol Morris but never saw this one.

Twinkie defense...I wrote "fast food" instead of "junk food" up there. I should proofread.