Get Low

2009 living wake movie

Rating: 13/20

Plot: An old hermit, tortured by his past and the source of a few urban legends, decides to hold a living wake

I'm one away from completing a "living wake" trifecta after this and The Living Wake. That's the superior "living wake" movie despite the presence of an Eisenberg because it was frequently funny. This one isn't supposed to be funny (at least I hope not), but it isn't really anything else either. I just never felt this movie. Bill Murray was fairly distracting with his usual low-key thang. Duvall isn't an actor I usually like very much anyway. Watching him chop wood in this movie does cement his status as a national treasure, however. But geez Louise! After the first ten minutes of this thing, I was worried that he would spend the entire movie grunting and groaning, but eventually, he started using things that sounded like real words, partially-articulate words of grouchy grumbled wisdom, most punctuated with this too-loud guitar diddling. And he says "umm" and makes some slurping noises. He looks the part of the grimy recluse, but he's really just a Hollywood hermit. Of course, if you're going to have a real grizzled old guy movie, it ain't going to be complete without Bill Cobbs as the obligatory old black guy. I'm going to have to check his filmography to see how many times he's played a character named Obligatory Old Black Guy. And I believe there was even a Wilford Brimley spotting in this. No, I don't have anything against old guys. There just wasn't enough of a payoff in this movie. I had to sit through a whole lot to get to this movie's punchline, and it just kind of left me scratching my head. There was room at the end for a little magic, but the movie's resolution was really botched.

Blog trivia: This is the first time I've mentioned Wilford Brimley on this blog.

1 comment:

cory said...

Have you seen "The China Syndrome"? I think Wilford was in that.

I am surprised you didn't like this more. I wasn't about to make it a "five", but for some reason I thought you would like it. I am a sucker for movies about lost chances and regrets (insert "Field of Dreams" here). Duvall is excellent as a character trying to make up for his past, and Murray is perfect in a wry, low-key humorous role with some serious bits. The whole thing is well acted and shot, and I cared about the story, even if it went a little far in spots. A 16.