Movies I've Recently Seen and Hated


1986 Troma feature Class of Nuke 'Em High isn't worth anybody's time. It's got what you'd expect from the mind of Lloyd Kaufman--some nudity, some gore, some really lousy gags, references to radiation--but it's not nearly as entertaining or as memorable as Tromeo and Juliet, The Toxic Avenger, or Poultrygeist. Josh and I watched this for the Bad Movie Club, but it's not really the right type of movie for that. 5/20


It's no secret that I'm a fan of the original straight-horror Raimi movie. And I don't hide that Evil Dead II is one of my favorite movies of all time. So I was curious to see what this 2013 version was all about. The most disappointing thing is that there's nothing that sets this apart from any other horror movie that I've seen from the last 10 years. There is nothing at all to see here. 7/20


I hadn't seen this 2006 Shammalammadingdong release and felt that there was a gap in my Shammalammadingdong education. Without this movie, the dive in quality from The Village to The Happening is a little too extreme. Like the film that follows this, it's hard for me to imagine that this isn't a comedy at times. It's one of those movies that seems to have been directed by an alien, a being who doesn't really know how actually human beings are supposed to act. And I can't imagine the performers not feeling stupid when they're saying some of these lines. The dumbness has to be heard to be believed. M. Night gives himself a role, presumably because everybody else is too embarrassed to be in his movies. Themes are heavy-handed, and the story's twists will force an "Oh, geez!" out of you. Giamatti was on a bit of a roll until he made this, right? He can't feel good about this. He's got a speech impediment where he gags when communicating, and I know I shouldn't poke fun at speech impediments, but I wanted to laugh every time he spoke. You can't argue with that raw sexuality during a scene where he eats a cookie and milk though. I would rather watch this again than The Village, but it's still around a 9/20. Unless I find out that it's an intended comedy. Then it's an 11/20!


I'm not sure the filmmakers are accurate in calling this the "first sampling movie" or not. People Who Die Mysteriously in Their Sleep (of Natural Causes) was created using visuals from other, mostly silent, movies. It was supposed to be funny but was unfortunately just tedious. I'm sure the people who put it together think it's a lot funnier than it actually is, but they're probably stoned out of their minds and have a head start. If you're remotely interested in this "new" genre of film-making, please don't be fooled into seeing this. It is not worth your time. 5/20


I noticed this was on Netflix and tried to trick my wife into watching it. I guess she outlasted me as I shut it off during the first little story featuring Hugh Jackman with testicles hanging beneath his chin. That seems like the sort of thing I would love, but I just didn't really get it. I doubt I revisit this any time soon, and I wouldn't recommend you watch it either.


No comments: