The Hangover Part III


2013 comedy sequel

Rating: 8/20 (Jen: 10/20)

Plot: On the way to an intervention for the bearded one, the Wolf Pack is kidnapped by Walter Sobchak and forced to find Chow who has recently escaped from prison. Shenanigans! 

I can't decide if they didn't really try on this one or if they tried way too hard. Either way, it's a complete failure. It might work more as an action movie than a comedy. Galifianakis has his moments, but the other three Wolf Pack members are really interchangeable here. Chow isn't, but that Ken Jeong shtick has run its course. He reminded me more of a computer-animated thing like Gollum in those Hobbit movies than a real human being. Jeong tries awfully hard, almost like he wanted to put the entire movie on his shoulders and carry things. The others really seem to be there for the paycheck, but at least Bradley Cooper still looks good. I really have to stop typing stuff like that. My wife will get suspicious when I watch The A-Team for the ninth time. The first two installments of this hopefully-completed series of movies were funny because of their unpredictability. Here, things are somewhat unpredictable, but nowhere near funny. It's almost like they weren't even going for funny a lot of the time. Other times, it's almost like the writers said, "Hey, this is supposed to be a comedy! Let's throw something wacky in there." And then, Bam--Giraffe decapitation. This was a huge disappointment for me, and I'm not even much of a fan of the franchise. I wonder how disappointed real fans were. 

No comments: