King of the Hill


1993 drama

Rating: 14/20

Plot: A kid tries to survive on his own in Depression-era St. Louis.

This is based on an A.E. Hotchner memoir, and after reading his book about Hemingway (Papa Hemingway, a book my dad gave me) and reading a bit about the guy, I think he's fascinating. I'm willing to bet the book that Soderbergh's third feature film is based on is better than the movie. I just don't care for Soderbergh's style here. Period pieces aren't generally my bag, but I have enjoyed movies from this particular time period in American history before. Here, it's almost too tidy of a period piece. There's a sheen to the Great Depression that just shouldn't be there. The visuals lack gristle, and odd camera angles and movements made me wonder what Soderbergh was doing a lot of the time.

It's always nice to see Spalding Gray, and it was fun seeing a young Adrien Brody and Adrien Brody's nose. Since the kid Aaron is in every single scene in the movie--at least I think he is--the kid playing him better not be irritating. Aaron was played by Jesse Bradford, and he's good enough. The young character lies so effortlessly that you just have to root for him. Or at least I did.

I loved the beginning of this, the use of The Mills Brothers' "Tiger Rag" over old-timey opening credits that tricked me into thinking I'd accidentally popped in a Woody Allen movie.

There was also a fart joke that I appreciated.

No comments: