The Hit


1984 hit movie

Rating: 16/20

Plot: A pair of hitmen drive an old mobster who squealed on his buddies and was hiding out in Spain to France where he'll be executed. It doesn't go as planned.

This movie ends with a great wink. I love movies that end with good winks.

I'm sorry--I probably shouldn't have spoiled that. Of course, you don't know which individual in this cool cast provided said wink, so I guess I didn't spoil anything.

The cast really is about the coolest you could have asked for in the mid-80s. Terence Stamp brings this playful philosophical tone to his character, this guy clad all in white like a relaxed good guy, one who is either at peace with whatever happens to him or is just pretending so that he can get the upper hand when needed. A very young Tim Roth is all fire and twitches as a hitman apprentice. I love a scene where he proudly shows off his jacket. John Hurt looks a little like Shane MacGowan but with teeth. He's cool, or more accurately cold, and stoic, bad news because of how professional he is. Laura del Sol is either dressed just right or dressed completely wrong for a road trip adventure like this, and I enjoyed seeing Fernando Rey as a policeman in what is mostly a silent role.

A courtroom scene where some mobsters sing "We'll meet again some sunny day!" to Stamp's character after he's testified against them seemed completely ridiculous, but it was based on something that actually happened. Mobsters sure are a fun group.

Clapton gets some early guitar wankery during the opening credits, but it's Paco de Lucia's flamenco guitar stylings that really help create the mood for this one. If I'm ever forced to accompany a pair of gangsters on a road trip in Western Europe, I'm hoping they've got a cd or two of de Lucia's music.

Anyway, I don't feel like I did a great job of selling this movie, but it's really cool. And it ends with a wink!

No comments: