Cries and Whispers


1972 comedy

Rating: 17/20

Plot: A woman with bitchy sisters is dying.

I watched this Saturday morning right after I finished preparing my eggs, avocado, and sauerkraut and wouldn't recommend that. It's not the happiest way to begin a Saturday.

My wife's sending me to the store now, and that is not a good way to start a Tuesday or whatever day this is. Wednesday? I guess it's Wednesday. And yeah, I'm aware that 11 o'clock is not technically the start of a day, but I haven't been up for long and there weren't any eggs in the refrigerator.

Those red fade-outs seem daring.

I like how Bergman refuses to give us all the information we need to understand these characters, at least all at once. Opinions are allowed to vary, but when you put all the pieces together, it's hard to like most of these human beings.

It seems Bergman's trying to say something about the importance of human touch. If I had watched this on a Thursday, I might have been inspired to go to the supermarket and fondle people. I didn't though, so I'll just buy some eggs and whatever else my wife wants me to pick up.

What day is this anyway? 

No comments: