Sex. Lies, and Videotape


1989 drama

Rating: 15/20

Plot: Andie MacDowell again? What the hell?

Before you do anything else, you need to Google "Sex Lies and Videotape Polish poster" and check that out. It's something else.

Andie MacDowell again! And just like in Four Weddings and a Funeral, this one ends with some inane dialogue about rain.

"I think it's gonna rain."
Laugh. "It is raining."
"Yeah."

You know, I'm just not sure I like Steven Soderbergh nearly as much as I'm supposed to. I certainly like this movie and think he's doing some great things, especially as a first time director. The juxtaposition at the very beginning with MacDowell talking about her dead grandfather watching her masturbate and her husband Peter Gallagher's infidelity introduces us to this relationship in a unique way. Their interactions overlap in surprising ways, but other than that, we're learning about this couple when they're not together at all. There's not a lot of pizzazz with the direction, but there are some nice subtle moments. Look at that slow zoom with MacDowell running her fingers on the stem of her wine glass while James Spader discusses his impotence, for example.

The performances are fine, aided by some very well-written dialogue. There are nuances there that I'd probably pick up if I watched this again.

No comments: