The Asphalt Jungle


1950 heist movie

Rating: 16/20

Plot: A recently-released criminal gets a team together to pull off a heist.

Marilyn Monroe's first performance although I don't think she ever looks quite like she does on the poster. I think I'd like to see Monroe's appearances in chronological order to check out the development of her mole.

This has just enough style and some good performances (I especially liked Sterling Hayden), but the double crosses seem a little Hollywoody. A good heist movie is only as good as its big heist scene, and this pulls its off with style and suspense. It's reminiscent but not as good as the one in Rififi.

My favorite part is close to the end. This is probably a spoiler, so you might not want to read it if you haven't seen the movie, but I believe it's suggested that some horses are going to devour one of the characters.

No comments: