Gunga Din


1939 action movie

Rating: 14/20

Plot: I'd rather not get into it.

Spoiler alert: I didn't think the titular character's bugle playing was THAT bad.

This is the fifteenth movie I've seen from 1939 that features "Auld Lang Syne."

Though the movie is nothing more than 1930's fisticuffs with three admittedly charismatic leads, I can appreciate the gong used during the opening credits. I'm a middle school language arts teacher with a gong in my classroom, and it occurs to me that I've not been striking that son of a bitch hard enough. You've got to put some spine into it! I'm sure my neighbors will appreciate that.

On the one hand, this is a lot of heroic and witty white dudes beating up natives. On the other hand, there's a warbling "whoa" during a scene when an elephant is shaking a bridge that should have been another Wilhelm Scream.

Another case of a movie not being as good as the poem it's based on.

No comments: