The Nine Lives of Tomas Katz


2000 movie

Rating: 12/20

Plot: Don't want to get into this one either.

"My inner baboon is taking over."

My friend Eric recommended this one because he knows my tastes, but I didn't dig this one as much as he thought. Director Ben Hopkins has ideas galore, but this struggles to find a real voice. Random window montages (later, a series of posts), inexplicable title cards, visual non sequiturs, various glitches, reverse exposure during an astral plane sequence. Hopkins is fearless in the way he makes his movie really ugly at times, but although it occasionally has a rhythm and humor that reminded me of British sketch comedy, it never really coheres in a satisfying way. I doubt I'll remember I watched this in a few months though I didn't feel it was a waste of my time while I was watching it. 

No comments: