Ida


2013 Polish drama

Rating: 17/20

Plot: A novice nun meets her aunt, and the pair go on a journey to find out what happened to her parents.

One of the most beautiful movies I've seen since the last Pawel Pawlikowski movie I saw. I think I'm going to just call him Paw Paw from now on. I doubt he'll ever read this and mind.

Like with Cold War, Pawlikowski shows off this ability to shoot the space around these characters in a way like I don't think I've seen before. He also once again showcases chickens. The first shots are of a Jesus statue being painted and lugged through the snow, and once those chickens came in, I knew I was in love with this movie, for I am a man who is very easy to please.

As a man who is easy to please, it's probably obvious that I would be into hot nuns, and Agata Trzebuchowska is indeed a hot nun. She's one of two actresses named Agata in this. The aunt, a chain-smoking harlot who clashes beautifully with our titular nun, is also an Agata. They're both really good performances, and I won't say more because I don't want to spoil anything about this slowly-unfurling piece of Polish poetry.

But I will say that when Trzebuchowska finally takes off her little nun hat, I knew right there and then that I have some sort of nun fetish. Thanks for revealing that to me, Paw Paw.

No comments: