Between Two Ferns: The Movie


2019 comedy

Rating: 12/20

Plot: Zach Galifianakis takes to the road to complete ten episodes of the titular webseries for Will Ferrell in order to have his dream of having a network talk show come true.

I broke both my "No Will Ferrell Movies" and "No More Netflix Original Releases" rules for this. I laughed a lot because Zach Galifianakis is hilarious, but the movie itself, a mockumentary that starts out about the inner-workings of the show but winds up being a road movie, isn't great. The comedy misses just as much as it hits, and the narrative, maybe intentionally cliched, appears to only be there as an excuse to show the interview snippets. It's fun seeing these celebrities willing to have a sense of humor about themselves, and it's clear everybody involved is having fun during some outtakes where characters are broken during the closing credits.

I really enjoyed seeing comedy legend David Letterman and that giant beard of his.

It's doubtful that I'm going to remember much of what was funny about this in a week or so, but I can see myself putting it on in the background while I'm doing other things.

No comments: