Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer


1984 cartoon

Rating: 14/20

Plot: High school students preparing for some sort of festival find themselves in a Groundhog Day scenario and try to get to the bottom of what's going on.

Anime isn't my bag, but I had to watch this for reasons I'd rather not discuss. I'm not sure how much I'm missing by not being at all familiar with any Urusei Yatsura that came before this. This is a "2," so I know there had to be a "1," and I also believe there was a television series. From what I understand, Mamoru Oshii either irritated or confused fans of these characters with this surreal and baffling narrative.

It's worth watching because of the creativity involved with a lot of the animated imagery. There are some inspired moments throughout, and all kinds of action and movement taking place on the screen, surprising since I believe this was kind of a rushed production. I just wish I enjoyed the story or the humor a little more.

Anyway, if you ask me politely, I'll let you know why I had to watch this.

No comments: