Birdboy:The Forgotten Children


2015 animated movie

Rating: 15/20

Plot: Some children (forgotten, it seems) try to escape an island while the authorities deal with the spawn of Birdman, an alleged terrorist.

As odd as the imagery, the anthropomorphized alarm clocks or inflatable ducks, and the talking animal characters are, this one is surprisingly sweet as well. Very creative animation and movements with these characters who aren't too far removed from the kinds of talking animals you might find in a Disney movie but at the same time being completely unique. Quirk and heart in equal doses, this has a lot of moments that made me smile because I enjoy the bizarre and at least one moment that nearly made me cry. Diving deeper into the allegory, I ended up in a deeper funk than I was in prior to starting this.

Still, recommended.

No comments: