The Story of Qiu Ju


1992 crotch kick movie

Rating: 15/20

Plot: After her husband is kicked in the crotch by the village chief, a wife seeks justice.

Hey, I'm almost to the end of the 1992 movies. I don't watch a lot of movies from China, but I like Zhang Yimou. Yimou-regular Gong Li stars, and she's great because she doesn't do a lot. It's simple storytelling, and the humor is subtle.

The inciting incident in this movie, one that happens before the opening scene of the story, involves a man named Wang Shantang kicking another man in the crotch. I kept waiting for another plot element to pop in, but this really is just about a woman seeking justice for her husband being kicked in the nuts. You kind of have to appreciate that, don't you?

Wang Shantang. Once again, I'm doing nothing but proving how much of a child I am.

No comments: