Moonstruck


1987 romantic comedy

Rating: 8/20

Plot: No time to write a plot synopsis. I don't care enough.

My wife fell asleep during this, but before she did, I asked if I could have her permission to sleep with Cher if the opportunity ever arises. She gave me permission. So if you're reading this, Cher, that door is open!

I watched this more for Nicolas Cage than Cher, of course. I didn't figure it would be good, but I thought it might provide me with some entertaining Cage moments. Man, that guy had some body in the late-80's. I was going to ask my wife if I could also sleep with him if that opportunity ever popped up, but I believe I've already asked before and got a firm no as an answer.

There's something magnetic about Cher even though I don't really buy her character as a real person. There's also not much chemistry at all with Cage. In fact, there's a lot of whatever the opposite of chemistry is. The story is trite, the dialogue is poorly written, and the sentiments seem like they come from 1930's cinema rather than something produced in 1987.

But what about the Nicolas Cage? Well, I do like the fact that his character has a wooden hand, especially when he holds it up and screams, "I lost my hand! I lost my hand!" as only Cage can. And this really strange scene that precedes the first moment they sleep together? That's entertaining. He flips a table. Then, he grabs and kisses Cher. Then, she kisses him back. He picks her up. She asks, "What are you doing?" He yells, "Son of a bitch!" for no reason. She asks, "Where are you going?" He answers, "To bed."

I had to rewind that three times to figure out whether or not it made any sense.

TL;DR: If you want to have sex with me, Cher, you totally can! My wife's cool with it!

No comments: