The Birdcage


1996 romantic comedy

Rating: 15/20

Plot: The son of a gay couple who run a nightclub and the daughter of a conservative politician get engaged.

My friend Fred was shocked and appalled that I had never seen this and told me that I was no longer allowed to step foot in his house until I watched it. I can count the amount of friends I have on one hand, so I didn't really have a choice.

Nichols' film is really funny. I can't compare it to the original European (apparently French and Italian?) version because I haven't seen that one either. I doubt that one has Nathan Lane who is a real national treasure. So is Robin Williams' mustache, I guess. I am surprised that Williams didn't take advantage of the randier material here--though it's an R that could have easily been a PG-13--to show off that enormous penis of his. Gene Hackman Genes all over the screen, and Hank Azaria is on fire in this performance that I just can't decide whether it's offensive or not.

Somewhere tucked in this farcical comedy is a message about acceptance and identity, but I'm not completely sure that was the main focus here.

I can now go to my friend Fred's house again.

No comments: