South Park: Bigger, Louder, Uncut

1999 animated comedy

Rating: 12/20

Plot: A raunchy movie's foul language corrupts the youth of America. Mothers fight back by putting a series of events in motion that lead to America declaring war on Canada. Meanwhile, Satan and Saddam Hussein await the final sign of the apocalypse so that they can rule the world together. Oh, snap! The South Park children (minus the one that always dies) have to act fast to save the world from Satan. And censorship!

A lot of this is timeless satire although this movie won't ultimately have the staying power of a Duck Soup or Weekend at Bernie's II. I prefer Parker and Stone's Team America, a movie I've yet to find another fan of. There are lots of clever moments and tons of really stupid ones in this, but nobody can deny that the songs are genius. I won't be able to get "Uncle F*cker" out of my head for weeks.

I own this movie. What I really wanted to watch wouldn't work on the laptop. Not that I'm making excuses.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your review is on the money, and yes, "Team America" sucks. This film was kind of a let-down since it was worse than the average TV episode. The songs were good, but not as good as in "Team America"- really. As far as the movie you wanted to watch, I'm guessing Jennifer has wisely instituted some restrictive controls on the lap-top.

Shane said...

I only remember a couple "Team America" songs...I just don't understand how a movie with marionette sex isn't at the top of everybody's 119 best movies ever list.

I actually popped in one of your movies, but it wouldn't work on the laptop for some reason.

Unknown said...

I am a huge fan of Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I've been watching them faithfully from "South Park: Season 1" to "The Book of Mormon." I even loved their "Basketball" and "Cannibal: The Musical" (although that last one is more of a required taste...no pun intended). I not only enjoyed seeing "Team America" in the theater, I now own it on DVD and could sing (and accompany myself on piano) every song in that movie. I belt out Kim Jong Il's "I'm So Ronery" on a weekly basis (even the falsetto part).

Seriously, I've been a fan of Parker and Stone for years and haven't seen them do too much wrong. The South Park movie was long awaited and did not disappoint. It delivered on all the things that we wanted to see from the show and then some. It made my guy friends appreciate show tunes...I'M NOT ARONE ANYMORE!

Shane said...

Surprised I only gave this a 12/20. I would have guessed a 14/20. I do like 'Cannibal' but not their little sports comedy.

"I'm So Ronery" as D.W.? I'd be interested in hearing that.

And I don't know who you think you're kidding. I've "met" some of your friends, and they all seem to be into show tunes.