The Shawshank Redemption

1994 movie

Rating: 17/20 (Jen: 16/20)

Plot: Fancy pants banker Andy Dufresne is sentenced to two life terms in prison for killing his wife and her lover. It's a crime he claims he did not commit. "And how am I going to serve two life terms anyway?" he says, tears rolling down his babyish cheeks. "I've only got one." He attempts to adjust to prison and the frequent invasion of his anus and befriends another lifer, a black Irishman called Red. Red, serving a life sentence for sexually abusing penguins, learns from his new buddy all about how hope can set one free.

"What is your malfunction, you fat barrel of monkey spunk?" Captain Hadley had all the best lines. Actually, the writing is part of what I love about this movie, and I'm not just talking about lines involving monkey spunk. This is, after all, the movie that introduced "pinch a loaf" to my vocabulary. Some of the dialogue taken on its own might seem hokey, but with quality acting, it manages to sound smooth and natural. Morgan Freeman seemed born to play Red, and Tim Robbins is, as usual, very good although he probably has the largest and most distracting forehead in Hollywood. There's nothing all that spectacular about this story, but it's one that's told very very well. The film looks beautifully gritty and is stuffed with some truly great moments--the Mozart, the birdman, the warden's conversation with Robbins' character during inspection, others. Jen thinks this movie is predictable. I'm amazed that a movie can have so many Hollywood moments, things that really should make me sick to my stomach, but that it all still manages to work extremely well.

Note: Now that I think about it, Tom Hanks' forehead is by far more distracting. I can't even attempt to explain what's going on with that thing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a sick man. This is one of those films that grow on you. I love the narration, the acting and mostly the mood of the film. A 19.

l@rstonovich said...

i'm amazed too. i fell for it the first time but when i come across it now it feels a little too hollywood manipulative... i remember my friend always freaking out about the short story when we were kids, where he threatens to bite the guy's johnson...or does he bit the guy's johnson? i forget

Shane said...

He only threatens to bite.

I think I appreciate this more after a second viewing actually. The first time I watched it, I thought it was too Hollywood and manipulative, but I think the writing and acting outshine that.

Unknown said...

This is my #2 movie on a top ten list I keep in my lingerie drawer. You're absolutely right about the simplicity of the story line versus the interesting and intricate way in which it is told. This movie has everything for me when I approach a movie.

Humor: "monkey spunk" "didn't do it; lawyer fucked me"

Story: The story is full with NO gaps. Sure the narrative jumps years at a time, but ALL of the best parts are told in full. I can "see" what would have been written if Stephen King decided to turn his short story into a full-fledged novel. Not to mention the twists. I did find this movie predictable. Sure, I get it: an innocent guy goes to jail, meets stock characters, gets a new best friend who knows the ropes to help him through his hardships, escapes and lives happily ever after. But, HOW the problems are solved are ingenious. Each beat of the film has a nice twist to compliment its by-the-book story.

Drama: The Mozart duet brings a smile to my face as much as the silly, male banter. It's different kind of smile, though. It's the smile one has through hardships. A smile of joy, not humor.

Character development: I could go through the leads and supporting cast, but let me just focus on the villains. The warden, Boggs, and Hadley are the kind of villains you love to hate. I will just lump "acting" into this because they played their roles so well, that I think it hurt them in other films. Now, every time I see these men, I have an automatic response to hate them. That's how it's done, sir.

This movie was admittingly Frank Darabont's baby and I think he brought it up well and can be very proud of it.

Shane said...

I know what you mean about hating characters played by actors after they've played certain villains. I like good juicy villains though.

The twists complimenting the by-the-book story...that's what makes it great. It's the kind of movie that a whole lot of people can be comfortable with (hence, it's popularity), but there's enough brilliance in there to help it rise above the heap.

Monkey spunk.