Faust

1994 Svankmajer flick

Rating: 17/20

Plot: See Marlow, Christopher.

This version of the Faust story is a lot funnier than 1920-something silent Murnau version. It's even, arguably, more visually imaginative and fantastically stylized. Arguably. Svankmajer's mix of live action, marionettes (sometimes sans strings), and stop animation creates an off-kilter universe of twitching cobwebs, junk-drawer chicken bones, and closet ash and shadows. And a dude has sex with a seven-foot tall wooden puppet. I know what folks'll say. Folks'll complain that this is too much of an onslaught of the random, too much of that weird-for-the-sake-of-weird type stuff. But I disagree completely and think that this grows with multiple viewings. Surrealist funk that hits you right in the loins! This isn't my favorite Svankmajer movie, but it is my brother's and is probably one of the easier ones to locate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so ashamed that I don't even have a Svankmajer list going. Of course it would help if I'd ever heard of him. I wonder who has has problem with movies that are weird for the sake of weird. How is D doing?

Shane said...

Something tells me that 'Faust' wouldn't exactly be up your alley.

D-dizzle is fine. He didn't go to school all week (doc's orders) but hasn't needed any pain medication for several days. No problems at all.