Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

1999 afro-samurai gangster flick

Rating: 17/20

Plot: Ghost Dog, a black contract killer who adheres to the philosophies and codes of the samurai, finds himself a target of a clumsily inept mob. He and his pigeons have to take care of business.

I noticed the other day that I had no Jarmusch movies on this blog and felt the need to remedy that. I'd actually always avoided this movie despite a recommendation from a buddy, and I'm not exactly sure why. Jim Jarmusch? Good. Samurai? Good. Comical mobsters? Good. I'm not sure why I'm surprised to like this rather special movie so much. It has a lot to say about personal codes, fading traditions, communication, friendship, stereotypes, and loyalty. And it's really fucking entertaining. There's action, there's laughs, and there's a great performance by Forest Whitaker in the title role. A hammier performance would have easily destroyed the character and the film, but Whitaker plays it suave and delivers exactly what the role calls for. Ghost Dog's interesting because it's more the characters, their motivations, and the philosophies that push the plot forward rather than just a story. With typical Jarmusch nuances, those characters that meander just outside the fringes of normalcy, and thematic depth, this is the type of uniquely entertaining movie that will be rewarding again and again. I'm going to have to watch Dead Man again soon to see if there are some thematic connections.

2 comments:

cory said...

I can now say I like a Jim Jarmusch film (not that I really cared to). This is a very entertaining movie in a low-key way, and Whitaker is perfect in the honorable man/ philosopher role. The slightly characature nature of the mobsters doesn't get in the way of a perfect and surprisingly poignant ending. A 16.

This was not a "five", but I do remember it being one you mentioned a while ago that I should watch.

Shane said...

Cool! I don't remember suggesting you watch it, but it's a differentish Jarmusch movie, not as dry, and I'm glad you liked it.

Now maybe you'll be more willing to check out 'Dead Man' which I believe I did make a "five"...don't remember though. It's a weirder movie, but I think it's hilarious.