A Day at the Races

1937 Marx bro. movie

Rating: 16/20

Plot: Three of the Marx Brothers (Grabbo, Bongo, and Crappo) try to save a sanitarium from financial ruin. A race horse named High-Hat, a vet posing as a people doctor, and a pair of con men are somehow involved.

This took a little while to gain some momentum, but it ended up being a good Marx Brothers' flick. It's still bogged down a little with three or four too many musical numbers (or however many musical numbers it has) although as always, I enjoy watching the Brothers themselves handle the instruments. And I especially enjoyed watching Harpo manhandle a piano. I sure missed Zeppo. There are a handful of really good bits throughout, and I'm finally able to finger the exact reason why I like the Marxes so much--they are completely unlikable as human beings and simultaneously have this misanthropy that I think is lovable.

No comments: