Raising Arizona

1987 comedy




Rating: 17/20 (Dylan: 6/20)


Plot: Lifelong miscreant H.I. McDunnough falls in love with offier-of-the-law Edwina. They eventually marry and move to a trailer seemingly in the middle of nowhere. Once they find out that Edwina can't have children, they decide to steal one of the quintuplets that unpainted furniture tycoon Nathan Arizona and his wife recently brought into the world.


According to Dylan, this is half as good as Pee Wee's Big Adventure. The best thing about this movie is its voice. The Coens borrow from decades of comedies while simultaneously create something that is uniquely their own. The quirky performances, the hammy direction, comic timing which somehow manages to be off and perfect at the same time, some great music. This is refreshingly entertaining from beginning to end. [Censored to hide blasphemous comments writer made about one Nicolas Cage.] Cage looks like a comedic genius in this one. Well, he sort of looks like a comedic genius in Ghost Rider and the Wicker Man remake, too, I guess.

4 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

19.

cory said...

A 20 for my second favorite comedy of all-time.

Have you seen that Nicholas Cage and Werner Herzog have made a movie together?! What can this mean for mankind?

cory said...

A 20 for my second favorite comedy of all-time.

Have you seen that Werner Herzog and Nicholas Cage have made a movie together?! What can this mean for mankind?

Shane said...

Yeah, I did see that. Herzog also did that movie with Christian Bale who I also can't stand. Well, I guess I can stand Cage. I almost have what could be described as a love-hate relationship with him. Christian Bale, however, is completely worthless.

I'll see it when it comes out on dvd just like I do all of Nic Cage's movies.